Public Health Implications of Disasters
Week 8 - Complex Humanitarian Emergencies
Complex humanitarian emergencies are typically found outside the
United States and include the end result of famine and war. These
two entities displace large populations, create refugee camps and
lead to a breakdown of society as we know it. The medical, public
health and incident management approach to these incidents is
completely different than to most other disasters because these are
slow-moving beasts which typically last for years and create
casualty counts in the 6 to 7 figures or greater. They cannot be
solved with a single decision or the input of a single organization
or country. Fred Burkle is considered to be one of the top
researchers in the world on this topic. I think you will enjoy his
1. Frederick Burkle. Complex Emergencies: An Introduction. Burkle.pdf
2. Michael VanRooyen et al. Emerging Needs. VanRooyen2.pdf
1. Benjamin Starnes. Peacekeeping and Stability Operations: A Military Surgeon's Perspective. Starnes military surgeon.pdf
1. The Van Rooyen article lists emerging issues and future
trends for the provision of humanitarian aid in complex
humanitarian emergencies. Choose three of these and describe how
they are being handled or have been handled at any complex
humanitarian emergency outside the United States within the last 15
years. Again, choose a unique event from your classmates so that we
can enrich ourselves with a greater degree of education rather than
having everyone talk about the same two or three events.
- APA Style
- Kindly, answer all questions clearly and completely.
- 3 references at least.
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.