Do you ever wonder how and why you communicate with your family
in the ways that you do? Every family unit has its own way of
engagement and interaction. In this first forum for the week, you
will have an opportunity to describe different ways in which your
family communicates, using the course text and a scholarly source
to assist you.
Read Chapter 10 from
The Interpersonal Communication Book. In addition, utilize
the Ashford University Library to retrieve one scholarly article
(i.e., peer-reviewed source, such as a literature review, study, or
professional critique) that discusses family communication.
Initial Post:Please prepare a 300-word minimum reply that sufficiently addresses each of the items below. Don’t forget that it is critical to cite your sources of information, including the textbook, using APA formatting.
- Summarize your selected scholarly article and describe the impact of family on communication.
- Which of the four communication patterns from the text can you identify that are most reflected in your family? Explain their impact as it relates to how your family communicates.
- Why would it be important for a human services professional to understand how families interact, taking into consideration the different patterns and dynamics you’ve explored?
Georgetown University Professor of Linguistics, Deborah Tannen,
has been a leading researcher and author on the issue of gender and
communication. In this second discussion forum for the week, you
will learn more about this fascinating theory and distinguish
between styles of communication exhibited by males and females.
Watch the video,
Genderlect Theory by Deborah Tannen (Links to an external
. In addition, read
Genderlect (Links to an
external site.)from Changing Minds and chapters from The
Interpersonal Communication Book that might be beneficial.
Initial Post:Prepare a 300-word minimum reply that sufficiently addresses each of the items below. Don’t forget that it is critical to cite your sources of information, including the textbook, using APA formatting.
- Describe the concept of “Genderlect” and describe the impact of gender on communication.
- Provide examples of various communication methods (e.g., verbal, non-verbal, message types, etc.) that are evident in the video clip, and describe how they differ between males and females.
- What are some effective ways of communicating when differences in conversational patterns are present?
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.