JWI505 Business Communications
As a leader, there will be times when you will need to convince your audience about your point of view, whether
you are selling a product or relaying information. Knowing how to convince people of your perspective is a
valuable skill. In order to do this effectively, you must learn the art of persuasion and communication.
For this assignment, you will apply key concepts from Week 5 to write a persuasive Memo. Choose ONE of the
below scenarios that you feel passionate about. Think about how you will convince your executive leadership
team to buy into your point-of-view on your chosen topic.
1. The office dress code at your company is strictly business attire and the employees feel that business casual is more appropriate for your company culture. You’ve been designated as the spokesperson to approach the executive leadership team about this proposed change. How will you persuade them to buy-in to your recommendation?
2. Your boss discourages remote working although it is allowed in other departments, which is starting to impact the morale of your team. How will you persuade him that increased flexibility will be beneficial to the productivity of the team?
3. There is an opening on the leadership team at your company. There are several internal and external candidates applying for this job besides you. How will you persuade your boss that you are the best candidate?
• Review your Week 5 readings
• Create a 2 to 3 page Memo, addressed to the executive leadership team or to your boss, depending
on the scenario that you chose.
• Use the Outline below to structure your Memo:
1. Write a “Hook” to get your audience’s attention (1-2 paragraphs)
2. Tell the story/create a connection (1-2 paragraphs)
3. Identify the benefits of your point-of-view (1-2 paragraphs)
4. Back it up with facts and data (1-2 paragraphs)
5. The Ask: State clearly what you are asking for (1-2 paragraphs)
6. Closing: Describe the proposed next steps (1-2 paragraphs) subject to change based on the needs of the class.
Professional Formatting Requirements:
Your assignment should follow these formatting requirements:
• Typed, single spaced, with a blank line between paragraphs, professional font (size 10-12)
• Includes headings and subheadings (to identify main topics and subtopics), with one-inch margins on all sides
• Do NOT include a standard cover page. Instead, on the first page, start your Memo with the following headings aligned to the left:
o TO: Fill in Decision Maker’s Name
o FROM: Fill in Your Name
o DATE: Fill in the Due Date
o RE: Insert a Subject Line to Capture the Reader’s Interest
• Application of course material or other resources is needed. References must be included and provide appropriate information that enables the reader to locate the original source.
• The length of 2 to 3 pages does not include your References page.
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.